Editor's Review for Java JRE
Note: By downloading Java you acknowledge that you have read and accepted the Early Adopter Development License Agreement for Java SE.
Java Runtime Environment is a set of software tools which are primarily used for the development of java applications. It helps to provide the minimum requirements to enable executing of java programs. It consists of several components namely Java virtual machine, java platform core classes and supporting libraries.
It is part of Java development kit but it can be downloaded as a separate package. It was developed by Sun Microsystems which was acquired by Oracle.
- Java run-time environment has user interface toolkits integrated and they include abstract window toolkit, swing, java 2D, print service, sound, drag and drop.
- Java virtual machine is integrated within.
- It has several libraries which include interface definition language, java database connectivity, remote method invocation and scripting among others.
- Have deployment technologies such as java web start and java plug-in.
- It has lang and util libraries.
- It acts as an environment that enables Java programs to run. Java programs need to be converted from byte code in order to run successfully.
- It provides libraries to help developers create applications with graphical user interface.
- It is free to download and use.
- Utilizes less disk space when installed.
- Can be downloaded as a separate package.